Change screen resolution

Hodgins Family ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Wed Sep 14 01:00:20 UTC 2005

Hello Alfred:

> System Configuration->Screen Resolution
> display 640x480 which is too big for my monitor.
> There are no other values and the pull down menu referred
> to in the Gnome help on Screen Resolution settings does
> not work.

It goes something like this:

1) Ctrl Alt F1 to a terminal.
2) sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Move through the various screens until you reach one that lets you select
various resolutions (there is quite a few).
Make sure that your monitor supports the resolutions that you want.

3) Ctrl Alt F7 gets you back to your desktop. You might have to log out then
back in or maybe reboot (Can't recall)

Rob