Four Ubuntu Installations -- ALL FAIL

Tom sett at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 11 23:20:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 18:36 -0700, Robert Bronson wrote:
snip

> Here are the four installations I've tried:
> 5.10 "Breezy Badger" for AMD64
> 5.10 "Breezy Badger" for i386
> 5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog" for AMD64
> 5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog" for i386
>
> In all four cases I am doing the default installation, not the
> "server" installation.

Bob,

Sorry i cannot help with the specific problem but i think i can give you
some useful pointers in terms of a general strategy ....

Breezy Badger 5.10 Ubuntu is still in development and will not be
released for "production" and newbie use until early October 2005 which
is what the 5.10 stands for.  You should not be using it at all for the
purposes you aiming for at this time as it will definitiely contain
errors which will be far beyond a newbies capabilities to resolve.

You have a choice here it seems to me .... stick entirely with Hoary
Hedgehog 5.04 which was released in April 2005 or wait until a
production quality version of Breezy is available in early October.

Given the time in the cycle of release a lot of people who would likely
help you are maybe already involved in testing Breezy so unless you have
a really urgent need to use ubuntu maybe it would be a reasonable plan
to give it all another go in October?

Chris