Login from any terminal to personalised desktop

Tim Vaughan talltim at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 16:04:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm investigating running an IT lab on Ubuntu.  It'll be used for
internet, email and office tasks for a charity that I work for.  I
want the users to be able to sit down at any PC, log in and have all
their personalised settings, files, home directory etc. available
regardless of which computer they use.

What's the easiest way of doing this?  I'm aware of LTSP and am
looking into that as well but it looks pretty complicated.  Another
way which I think might work is to have GDM authenticate against an
LDAP server but I've never done this and I don't know how to tell it
to automatically mount a user's home directory.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim