Lite On DVD Drive - SOLVED!

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 15:22:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 15:26 +0200, Mark Janssen wrote:
> On 9/9/05, David M. Carney <carney1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My old Nec DVD writer (it died, hence the replacement) would write to
>
> > david at n1zhe:~$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cdrom
> > INQUIRY:                [LITE-ON ][DVDRW SOHW-1693S][KS0A]
> > GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
> >  Mounted Media:         1Bh, DVD+R
>
> Your disks are written in 'DVD+R' mode... home-players usually don't
> understand these disks... You need to switch your writer to DVD-ROM
> mode writing
>
> Your NEC drive did this by default... apparently the LITEON doesn't.
> You may need to look for unofficial firmware to be able to change the mediacode
>
> I use nec35xx's myself... and usually use Liggy-Dee firmware... but
> check out rpc1.net
> for firmware for your drive that supports bitsetting
>
> Or try 'dvd+rw-booktype' and check if your current drive supports it.
>
> --
> Mark Janssen  --  maniac(at)maniac.nl  --  pgp: 0x357D2178 |   ,''`.  |
> Unix / Linux Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ Snow.nl |  : :' :  |
> Maniac.nl      MarkJanssen.nl      NerdNet.nl      Unix.nl |  `. `'   |
> Skype: markmjanssen ICQ: 129696007 irc: FooBar on undernet |    `-    |

This is how I solved this problem on my SOHC-1693S Lite On drive.

I downloaded BookType135.ZIP from
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download_utility.htm and unzipped it.

Unfortunately, this utility will not work under wine with my ide Lite On
burner. There is the possibility that it might work if you have your
Lite On DVD burner setup as a scsi device instead of /dev/hdc.

I put a blank DVD+R in my drive and ran the utility. I was able to use
the drop-down to change the DVD booktype to DVD-ROM.

This setting appears to survive reboots/resets with this drive type. And
now I can write DVD's that my home player will play!

MOST IMPORTANT:

Does anybody know how to do this in Linux? This is what happens when I
try using dvd+rw-booktype:

david at n1zhe:~$ dvd+rw-booktype -dvd-rom -media /dev/hdc
This program targets units of RICOH, BENQ, BTC and LITE-ON designs.
/dev/hdc doesn't appear to be one. Exiting.

My drive is definately a Lite On drive. The program is just getting
confused. BUMMER!

Note that the change I made with Lite On's tool (BookType135) does
survive a reboot into Linux.

If Lite On comes out with a new firmware update, I don't know if
flashing my drive will "change it back" or not. Easy fix if it does.

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958
http://carney1979.blogspot.com/