"Unable to find swap-space signature"

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Sun Sep 11 15:11:18 UTC 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 15:57, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 03:47:23PM +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > swapoff -a

Hehh.. that wasn't necessary, actually, if the swap space wasn't being used :)

> > mkswap /dev/hda5
> > swapon -a
>
> Sweet! That did the trick, Lee; thanks.

No probs :)

> Digging in a little
> bit: why can't Linux fix that problem on its own at bootup?

Well, it could, but all it's saying is that the partition you've tried to use
as a swapspace hasn't been marked as swapspace.  That "problem" could equally
be a configuration mistake, because you've set it to mount your
five-years-of-backups drive as swapspace.  I find the secondary safeguard
useful -- much better than having it automatically wipe your backups just
because you accidently typed /hdb instead of /hdc or something, in fstab ;)

Also, I think it's useful to know that something really did go wrong, because
it's serious enough to require manual fixing.  The question for me would be,
"what happened to your swap space?"  Did you have a power-cut or do a
hard-reset, maybe?  If not, you probably want to check your log files, and be
wary of possible hardware problems.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com