Four Ubuntu Installations -- ALL FAIL

Robert Bronson rbronson1976 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 01:36:42 UTC 2005

Hello all, I am new to Ubuntu and Linux in general. I heard good
things about Ubuntu so I wanted to try it. Unfortunately I can't
get past the install.

I have an AMD 64 Athlon machine with 1GB RAM. The motherboard is
MICRO-STAR MS-7145. This machine is not exotic. It's a
relatively new eMachines T6520, straight out of the box. Please
don't laugh at eMachines. BTW, this machine works great
w/Windows -- zero problems.

I have tried to install four different Ubuntu distributions and
they all hang.

Here are the four installations I've tried:
5.10 "Breezy Badger" for AMD64
5.10 "Breezy Badger" for i386
5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog" for AMD64
5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog" for i386

In all four cases I am doing the default installation, not the
"server" installation.

First, I'd like to describe the problem I see with the v5.04
installations. Both the AMD64 and the i386 releases have the
exact same hang behavior:

The installation starts out fine. Then, I see the following
message:

ohci-hcd: already loaded
ohci-hcd: already loaded
ehci-hcd: already loaded
ohci1394: already loaded
pci [success]
ohci_hcd 0000:00:13.1 Unlink after no-IRQ? Different ACPI or
APIC settings may help.

That's it, nothing else happens -- there's CD or hard drive
activity. It just hangs.

Now, I should also mention that I also tried the boot option,
'noapic nolapic', and that seemed to get by this hang problem,
but then I had problems with DHCP so I just gave up.

Incidentally, I don't think 'noapic nolapic' is a "solution" to
the hang problem. Why should I have to cripple the operating
system?

---------------------

Now for the 5.10 "Breezy Badger" installations. Both the AMD64
and the i386 releases have the exact same hang behavior:

The installation starts out fine. Then, I see the following
message:

Running /etc/hotplug/scsi.rc
scsi [success]
[ 40.229618] ACPI: CPU0 (power states C1[C1])
[ 40.229642] ACPI: Processor [CPU0] supports 8 throttling
states}
Starting system log daemon: syslogd, klogd

That's it -- no hard drive activity, no CD ROM activity,
nothing. It just hangs.

Why must it be this way? Does anyone have an idea of what could
be wrong? Obviously, to a newbie, the messages on the screen are
useless. I am in the midst of trying other distros. I know SuSE
10 is fine -- no problems at all -- it allows me to connect to
the Internet.

This is not the first Linux distro I've had problems with. It's
really frustrating -- I try to like this OS, I sincerely want to
like it and use it, but it's so hard to use. Even though you
probably hate Microsoft at least they don't require their users
to know about APIC settings or a myriad of other acronyms.
Windows just works, very unlike Linux. I'm ready to give up. I
know there is probably some weird set of options I should try
when I Ubuntu but why should I have to? Why can't it just work
like Windows? Why can't you detect my hardware and do the right
thing?

BTW, I will say you have a very nice web site.

Thanks very much.

--
Bob Bronson