Ubuntu for Small Business

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 9 22:49:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 06:39:47PM -0400, John Richard Moser wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > If workable open source solutions exist for these needs, then yes, I think
> > it would make a lot of sense to collect them into a bundle as an Ubuntu
> > derivative.
> >
> Dmitriy K. pointed out that GnuCash will suffice for Money (but it needs
> to be ported to Gnome2 instead of Gnome1; it's active, just short-handed).

It really won't.  I use gnucash on a daily basis and it meets most of my
needs, but Money it ain't.

>  - Some POS from Sourceforge, but finding a good one may be difficult.

That's the trick.

>  - The "Employee Kiosk" is probably not there at all, although parts of
> what would go into it exist and so we need a little CMS magic to be
> written for a little glue
>  - Some kind of open exchange server (like OpenExchange) may be
> interesting in the long run, for a calendaring/groupware backend,
> especially if it could integrate into the theoretical EK; it'd be more
> interesting for Ubuntu Server though, as this is a bigger business'
> friend more than a single-shop.

This is hypothetical software; we need actual implementations which can be
packaged up and made into a product.  If some of the pieces aren't there
yet, we can think about what we can make from the existing ones, or wait.
In either case, a concrete plan would be advisable.

--
 - mdz