sl-modem on Ubuntu Hoary...grrr

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Fri Sep 9 22:21:45 UTC 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 16:48, Sebastian Müsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once upon a time James Gray wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been bashing my head on this one for a few days.  I have a HP NC6230
> > lappy with a built-in modem:
> > $lspci | grep -i modem
> > 0000:00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97
> > Modem Controller (rev 03)
> >
> > Apparently that requires the sl-modem stuff.  No problem.
> > $apt-cache search sl-modem
> > sl-modem-daemon - SmartLink software modem daemon
> > sl-modem-source - SmartLink software modem driver - module building
> > source
>
> What processor? AMD64. Smartlink only provides partial
> closed-source-drivers for i386 only ... Take a look at this thread:
> "Internet connection using Smart link 56k voice modem and Ubuntu 5.04
> AMD64"

Sorry - should have made that a little clearer.  The HP NC6230 laptop is an
Intel Pentium M740 (Centrino @ 1.86GHz IIRC). So no, it's not an AMD64, and
yep, I've done the archines, google, and the how-to's written by a number of
people.

My desktop machine (over there --->) is an AMD64 though, so I'm acutely aware
of these 32-bit-only issues (like media codecs, flash player etc)

Cheers,

James
--
The instruments of science do not in themselves discover truth.  And there are
searchings that are not concluded by the coincidence of a pointer and a mark.