What is the best way to set variables depending on environment?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Sep 9 13:06:50 UTC 2005

Janne Jokitalo wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>>I did. If I understood it correctly, it requires MAC address for the DHCP
>>>server. Which I don't have. Might even not get.
>>
>> arping -I etho ip-address
>
> Thanks!

Glad you figured it out.  I realized after the fact I'd written "etho"
instead of "eth0".  Then figured if you couldn't work that out, you
wouldn't have got this far :-)

>> Sure it will.  Whereami works great, at least for wired interfaces - I'm
>> still trying to build my wireless network and haven't tried to find out
>> if whereami can handle wireless.
>
> Well, then it's a problem. See, at work the connection is available by an
> ethernet cable, at home by wireless network card.

I'm just setting up the wireless network here, but I really can't see why
whereami wouldn't work just as well on wireless.  Maybe by tomorrow I'll
know.

> But I found a somewhat
> good page concerning laptop-netconf, I'll see if I can configure the
> interfaces correctly with that. Only grief I have is, does laptop-netconf
> include auto-probing, or do I need to use guessnet or similar for passing
> the correct network name to laptop-netconf for it to do its magic?

No idea.  I've used "intuitively" (which is fairly good, but I just have so
much trouble typing "intuitively" any time I want to try to change
something) and "whereami".  Whereami has the advantage of having one of the
two most responsive maintainers I've ever seen, so if you post a question
on debian-laptop you'll almost always get a quick solution.
--
derek