OT: Open source software for Xerox Workcentre

Bjørn Ingmar Berg bjorn.ingmar.berg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:09:03 UTC 2005

Ubuntuers!

One of the companies that regularly hires me has a number of  Xerox
Workcentre Pro C3545 scanner/copier/printer machines.  These can do
accouting by tracking usage on a per-user level.  Everything works as
intended on the Xerox machines.  Now the company needs to gather the
usage information from all the printers in one place, and divide the
cost between divisions according to actual usage.

Xerox themselves offer an application that does this, along with
central maintenance, administration and configuration of the machines.
 The compay has decided that this application is both an overkill
considering their needs, as well as too expensive.  So this time one
of my tasks is to try and find an alternative to Xerox' own solution.
I have trawled Xerox' website.  The website is a virtual jungle and
even re-finding pages I've seen earlier is almost hopeless.  Besides,
they seem to have only this one solution, and no trail-version or
similar.
I have looked quite a lot on the websites of micro$oft and IBM.  As
they try to and claim to be compatible with everything I thought it
could be worth a shot.  But no joy.
I have Googled in extenso.  All hits I get lead to Xerox, or
xerox-related comments or discussions.

So I turn to you!  Does anybody have suggestions or advice?

Regards,
Bjørn Ingmar