Monitor Screen Keeps Shaking

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:50:58 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Soo-Hyun Choi <shchoi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a machine for dual boot with WinXP and Ubuntu Hoary 5.04. If
> I boot with WinXP, the screen just works perfect. My monitor is
> Philips 170S (LCD screen), and VGA card is Radeon 7000 series.
>
> But if I boot with Ubuntu, the screen is keeping shaking and it's very
> unstable. (i.e., the screen is keeping tiny trembling and flickering.)
>
> Because the screen just works perfect under WindowsXP with same screen
> resolution, I don't think the problem is in the LCD monitor or the
> graphic card.
>
> Did anyone have similar problem like me? and got any idea to sort this out?
>
> Thank you.

That is the refresh rate. It is probably a different frequency than
when booting into XP. For me 75Hz "wiggles" slightly, but 85Hz is
fine. Try changing Ubuntu to a resolution that uses a different
(higher) refresh rate (mostly likely a lower resolution). If that
fixes it, you'll have to modify your xorg.conf file to get the same
resolution with refresh rate as you get in XP.

-Steve.
--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org