Colony 4: wifi problems on HP laptop

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Wed Sep 7 15:48:25 UTC 2005

An update.

I don't have any idea what is happening, but...

My eth0 has worked on this machine. So I was able to connect to the net
via cable to my router. Which is how I posted the message.

I have been updating 2-3 times a day hoping that an upate would come
thru which would fix whatever kept wifi from working. Nothing. :(

So this morning I restarted (it crashed overnight) and deciced to edit
the kernel boot parameters. I added no_apic to the line. And booted.

I tried the standard:
iwconfig wlan0 essid *****
dhclient wlan0

and it worked. Woohoo!

But it was a very unstable setup. It crashed in a matter of minutes. :(
So I restarted normally. And as per due diligence, I attempted my wifi.
And it worked. Woohoo!

I don't know why but I've changed nothing that I know of other than a
single startup of no_apic and successful wifi connection. Then it is
working on normal startup.

Now I do get lots of APIC errors in dmesg

I don't know what the deal is but it is up and running currently.

Jimmie