Inode error woes

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Wed Sep 7 12:25:43 UTC 2005

I am willing to bet that you have one of those lovely drives/chipsets
that reports it has finished a write but has simply cached it. A year
back I upgraded from 80 gig drives to 160 gig drives and windows started
crapping out left and right (the last thing windows writes to disk is
the registry, lose that, lose windows).  I went back to the 80 gig
drives (for primary disk) and switched to linux to avoid the incredible
frailty of the windows shutdown. I would try doing whatever it takes to
prevent poweroff/reboot of the system on a shutdown (disable acpi, turn
off caching, and do halt shutdowns, not poweroffs) and see if that fixes
your problem. Then I would throw away those maxtor drives (I'm not
prejudiced here am I???). Actually, I would use them in an external usb
enclosure and never put them in your machine again.

Matt