Programming sound

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Sep 5 21:29:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:20:22 +0200
Søren Hauberg <soren at hauberg.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FarEast wrote:
> > It will be worth visiting the website below.
> > http://linuxsound.atnet.at/
> I had actually found this page when I started looking for a library.
> My problem really is that I don't know what I'm looking for. I just need
> an easy to use sound-generation library, but I don't know what such a
> thing is called.
>
> /Søren

The ability to generate sounds at a given frequency appears to be built in to the base system. Try for example

Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or 3 4 etc) login, and type

setterm -bfreq 440

Then set off the beep....

setterm -bfreq 440 -blength 1999

Makes the beep just short of 2 seconds (apparently that's the limit)

I'm not a programmer, and have no idea how this is implemented, but I thought it might be of interest.

man setterm   ( *grin* )

Peter

--

Linux User #343161