DVD distribution..

Benj. Mako Hill mako at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 5 18:21:15 UTC 2005

<quote who="Manu Abraham" date="Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 06:32:14PM +0400">
> As a member of DubaiLUG [1], one of the LUG's in UAE (the LUG itself is
> completely free of any commercial vendor sponsorship), we have a plan to
> distribute 5000 copies of a Linux distribution to schools and colleges.
> As discussions progressed, we finally ended up with Ubuntu (Hoary
> Hedgehog) or Knoppix.
>
> Now, this event is a sponsored one, by many organizations.
> Being a sponsored event, we will be going in for DVD manufacturing of
> our own, as sponsors require many ad's on top of the disc as well as on
> the CD sleeve, as well as ads in soft-copy format.
>
> If we do so with Hoary Hedgehog, will we be treading upon any issues ? A
> question that i would like to get it cleared before we go into finalization.
>
> Hope someone can clear up my thoughts, if things do not look too bright.

I've answered emails to the trademark email alias for the last few
months. Part of our trademark policy asks you to notify us of any use
the of the trademark. An email to trademarks at ubuntu.com will be
enough.

In any case, this is how I would respond to your email:

 The Ubuntu logo and name are registered trademarks of
 Canonical. We're happy to grant permission for you to use the logo
 under the following conditions:

  (a) You observe the logo usage rules described on our website at:
      http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/TrademarkPolicy ;

  (b) Somewhere on the product you recognise that Ubuntu is a
      trademark of Canonical Limited.

 The logo usage rules basically boil down to "use the logo as is -
 don't mess with it" and I don't expect they should cause you any
 trouble.

I hope that's useful to you and other folks out there with questions
about using the Ubuntu trademark. We try to be as permissive as we can
be within the bounds of trademark law.

Regards,
Mako

--