security

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Mon Sep 5 16:40:00 UTC 2005

On Monday 05 September 2005 17:33, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 05:15:03PM +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > On Monday 05 September 2005 17:06, Sean Sieger wrote:
> The fact of having a phone conversation at the same time doesn't make it
> particularly more likely, though. The only risks that come to mind are
> things like electromagnetic cross-talk between the telephone line and a
> network cable

That was the way I read his question at first too.  But then I figured he was
asking about someone calling him and asking for deliberately details that
they knew he would go online to check, so that they could monitor his login
details etc.  This would be a reasonably common tactic if someone wanted his
details desperately enough.  However:

> Unless you have reason to believe that you're under surveillance by an
> intelligence organisation with very substantial resources (in which case
> I doubt you'd have mailed this list for help ...), I wouldn't worry
> about anything like this.

Yep, agreed.  Although I wouldn't say it quite that strongly.  It wouldn't
require military-level resources to pull off the kind of attack I mentioned
above.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com