breezy and account reset

Olve Hansen olvesh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 16:37:05 UTC 2005

I have recently (up)graded to breezy out of curiosity, but a bit premature
it seems :-)

I am now unable to log in, as my gnome-settings-daemon apparently crashes to
many times during log in - a message tells me. All my icons are vanished,
and gnome-panels arent working at all. I have tried to delete/rename
.gnome2, .gnome2_private, .metacity, .gconf, .gconfd, .ICEAuthority,
.Xauthority, .nautilus. Generally all files I can think having anything to
to with gnome settings. Still, things like my desktop background and
gnome-applets are still started.

How can I reset my account (and session) to a pristine fresh session?

I tried adding a new user, and this user logs in without any problems. My
old user with settings from hoary thus prevents me from logging in. But I
don't want to set up a completely new account either, as there are so many
settings I wish to keep. And there really should be an easy (at least
easier) way of doing this. I have tried login in with different sessions,
the only one successful is gnome-failsafe-terminal.

Anyone?

Thanks..
--
\ Olve S. Hansen