Can't reboot from ssh command line

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sun Sep 4 19:50:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 03:42:56PM -0400, Michael R Head wrote:
> Right, but it might be possible to set up a start-up time in the
> system's BIOS. For example, if you want the machine to start up at
> 8:55AM, so it has 5 minutes to boot before you reach your desk at 9, you
> should be able to configure that, though linux would have nothing in
> particular to do with that.

That's possible, though it seems unlikely. The BIOS still
needs power running through it in order to do anything, and
with the machine off it won't have that power. Or is the
BIOS still powered even when the machine is off? Obviously
certain parts of the machine -- like the clock -- need to be
running all the time; I'm not clear whether the BIOS is one
of those components.

This reminds me, sorta, of the "magic ping." I've never used
it, but I'm told that some machines can be brought out of
*standby* -- not out of a full power-off state -- by an
appropriately shaped IP packet.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org