Potentially new user

forgotten one namelesssoldier at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 4 18:08:24 UTC 2005

First off, hi everyone.

Here's my situation, I am at best a moderately knowledgeable Windows user
(XP) with a relatively new desktop PC and would like to know how to install
Linux on my system.

As I stated I'm no tech genius so I don't even know how to partition a disk,
but i know i want to keep windows.  Linux is a long standing curiosity of
mine and I would like to move away from Mr. Gates' monopoly of media.  So if
any one could offer assistance with partitioning that would be peachy.

As for an Ubuntu related question, I read the Installation Wiki, but was
unclear of whether I need to download Ubuntu and find another source of
Linux or whether Ubuntu would be the core.  (I know it's a dumb question,
but I have to ask.)

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can offer.

Shannon Groves