Mac and Linux compatibility

albi at scii.nl albi at scii.nl
Sun Sep 4 10:02:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 10:19:34 +1000
Peter Lieverdink <ubuntu at cafuego.net> wrote:

> >>It's possible to share files using samba or nfs, but we don't use
> >>either.  I will only use samba if I have to cater to a windows pc, and
> >>we don't have one of those in the house.  In theory, OSX supports nfs,
> >>but I've never been able to get nfs working well between linux and OSX
> >>(I've spent hours trying -- OSX is the problem, not linux/ubuntu).
> >

> > I didn't have luck with NFS either, but Samba works fine; I can browse
> > my Linux shares perfectly from my Macs, and vice-versa. Quick to set
> > up, too.

samba is a much nicer choice between linux and OSX, it's easier to set
the permission-handling, and you don't have to worry about
security-trouble so much at all as with NFS

however OSX-tiger has a smb-bug which gives troubles with samba 3.x

--
grtjs, albi
lynx -dump http://scii.nl/~albi/gpg.asc | gpg --import