Mac and Linux compatibility

David david at kenpro.com.au
Sat Sep 3 09:39:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 05:03:10PM +0800, Charles Yao wrote:
> Is mac and ubuntu compatible? Is it possible to share files and printers?
>
> Charles

Depending what you mean by "share". If you are still using Mac OS9, then
apt-get install netatalk will work fine.

You can use samba to share between Mac OSX and Ubuntu, or you can use
Netatalk.

Samba is installed by default on both OSX and Ubuntu, but it seems odd to
me to use filesharing that is foreign to both systems.

Netatalk is more native, but be warned that the current Ubuntu/
Debian package is 1.6.4 and it won't work with OSX. You need to go to at
least v.2 of netatalk for that. It's a pity that version 2 hasn't been
packaged. You can install from tar ball, and I've done that successfully
on one of my Debian Sarge boxes, so it's sure to work ok on Ubuntu.

I use both systems locally, and I just use a combination of rsync and scp
to transfer files. I guess that's not what most people want, but it's
really simple for me.

Both OSX and Ubuntu use CUPS for printing, so I can't see printing being a
problem, although I only print from my Mac.