printing in the gimp

Don W. Jenkins dwjinx at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 06:02:52 UTC 2005

I have encountered a persistent problem with printing in the Gimp. I have
encountered the problem both in Hoary and now in Breezy milestone 3. I have
both an HP Photsmart 1000 and an HP Officejet all-in-one 7300 hooked up,
both of which will print with Open Office and other programs, and the 7300
will scan with The Gimp and XSane, but when you ask either to print in The
Gimp, the best you get is an endless series of pages spit out with one line
of text code across the top until the job is killed and the machine is
turned off. When I discovered that the 7300 would scan with Xsane and The
Gimp, I was especially keen to print some of the photos I had scanned, and I
found finally that G-Eyes would print them, but there has to be a solution
to making The Gimp play nice with the printers too. Any suggestions? My
machine is a Celeron 2.8 gig with 512meg of Ram and my Linux on its own
150gig HD and Win2000 on another 60gig. I have about three flavors of Linux
at one time booting from my Grub menu, in case I get bored. Breezy is my
main man at the moment, as long as it works. Hoary is fall-back. They all
share my /home partition. Anything else I should include?

Thanks,
Don J.

--
Don W. Jenkins, Registered Linux User 190728/Linux Machine 84430
Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary/ProMepis/W2000Server