thc-secure-delete ( anybody installed it ? )

matthew ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Sep 2 20:33:39 UTC 2005

Vram Wrote:

> What is "Delete the free space of a Disk?"

I'm pretty sure what he wants to do is this. When you delete a file,
what you really do is delete the record of the file. The data still
remain, the area is just shown as free space. The original poster is
looking for a way to do what the shred command does, but in areas where
the files were previously deleted in the regular fashion...in other
words, he wants to overwrite the free space on his hard drive so that
previously stored data which was deleted form the record table is made
completely unrecoverable. I have seen programs that do this in windows
on ntfs and fat32 partitions. I haven't seen one that does it on
ext2/ext3 or other linux formats.

Now that the question is clearer, has anyone heard of such a thing?

EDIT: Oops! Someone beat me to it. Oh well, I'll leave my response here
as well even though I say basically the same thing as the previous
poster

--
matthew