hp all in one dection

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Fri Sep 2 03:46:03 UTC 2005

Charles Yao wrote:
> Larry,
>
> The result for the command sudo find / -name hplip

OK, the script "hplip" doesn't exist anywhere on your system.

> find: /proc/8169/task: No such file or directory
>
> The result for the second command sudo find / -name "hplip*"
>
> /home/ccyao/hpijs-2.1.4/hplip_api.c
> /home/ccyao/hpijs-2.1.4/hplip_api.h
> /home/ccyao/hpijs-2.1.4/.deps/hplip_api.Po
> /home/ccyao/hpijs-2.1.4/hplip_api.o find: /proc/8169/task: No such
> file or directory

Ahh!  I see!  You downloaded, configured, compiled and installed
*hpijs*, but you are following the directions for *hplip* :

See the FAQ at http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/faqs.php :

> 1) HPIJS is the basic printing driver that supports printing from
> CUPS, LPD, PPR, and other spoolers.
 > 2) HPLIP is a complete imaging
> and printing system for CUPS that includes HPIJS.

Hplip includes the /etc/init.d/hplip start-up script, hpijs does not
include this script (and that's why it cannot be found on your system).

Perhaps if you download, compile and install *hplip* you will have
more success in achieving your goal?

Before you do this you may want to run "sudo make uninstall" in the
/home/ccyao/hpijs-2.1.4/ directory, to remove all the pieces of hpijs.

I also strongly advise that you look into the "checkinstall" package,
which is available in the ubuntu repositories and can be installed via
apt-get or synaptic.  Checkinstall allows you to use the dpkg
management tool -- this will make it easier for you to track the
software you have compiled and installed and will make it easier to
cleanly remove this software if you decide you don't need it (or
realize that it won't work, etc).

Regards,
Larry