Owner and permissions of /var/mail/me

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 13:34:25 UTC 2005

On 9/1/05, Stephen R Laniel <steve at laniels.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:51:23AM -0400, Carthik Sharma wrote:
> > I deleted the /var/mail/carthik (my username is carthik) file by
> mistake. If I
> > were to create the file again, what should the permissions be, and who
> should
> > be owner of that file?
>
> I asked the same question of my Linux mentor a week or so
> ago, after three or four years of my using Linux. The answer
> should have occurred to me: drop to a command line and do
>
> echo test | mail carthik

This doesn't seem to be working for me - i already try sending mail from
mutt to "carthik" and now i tried the command above, which does not create a
file in /var/mail/ ? I am lost :)

> Does anyone have a link to a postfix + fetchmail + procmail + mutt + gnupg
> +
> > spamassassin story or webpage to share?
>
> Kind of a big question, isn't it? I use postfix, fetchmail,
> procmail, mutt, gnupg and spamassassin. What do you want to
> know?

The questions I have relate to how one "feeds" the other. In other words, I
am sure fetchmail fetches remote mail and forwards it to postfix. Postfix
then calls procmail? Is that how it works? i would love to learn how mail
passes through these tools on the way in, and on the way out, and where
spamassassin figures in. Do you have a recipe for spamassassin filtering
defined in procmail? How do all these tools come together? I found a few
howtos online, and can put two and two together to figure out how things
happen - but after the accidental /var/mail/carthik deletion I think
prior-knowledge can't hurt :)

> Mutt: I am the mutt mastah. :-) Ask any questions you'd
> like. I think my favorite mutt hack is this script:
>
> http://laniels.org/scripts/gpg_get_keys.pl.txt

Cool! Thanks, will make a note of this, for sure...

> Ask any questions you might have. I find all of this stuff
> fun.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help :)

Carthik.