hp all in one dection

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Thu Sep 1 05:07:49 UTC 2005

Charles Yao wrote:
> On 9/1/05, Larry Grover <lgrover at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
>>Charles Yao wrote:

>>does

>>scanning

>>>Hi Larry,
>>>
>>>It worked, but now these commands do not work:
>>>
>>>1. Enter this command:
>>># /etc/init.d/hplip restart
>>>2. Enter this command:
>>># /etc/init.d/cups restart
>>>
>>>when i make these commands im in the directory of the printer driver.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?
>>
>>I don't have one of these printers nor do I have this software on any
>>of my systems, so my suggestions are going to be generic.
>>
>>What errors do you see after you enter the commands? The error
>>message may indicate what the problem is.
>>
>>Are you preceding the commands with "sudo"? You shouldn't be able to
>>stop/start these services without root priviledges.
>>
>>Do these files actually exist on your system? What do you get when
>>you enter "ls /etc/init.d/hplip" and "ls /etc/init.d/cups"? Perhaps
>>you meant "cupsys" instead of "cups". Are you sure the software you
>>compiled and installed actually put these files into /etc/init.d?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Larry
>>
>>--
>>

> Hi Larry,
>
> I just followed the HP instructions
>
> http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php#debian_env
>
> When I run /etc/init.d/hplip
>
> it says: sudo: /etc/init.d/hplip: command not found
>
> Im basically a noob so I dont really know how much of this stuff works.
>
> Charles

The "command not found" is telling you that the file /etc/init.d/hplip
does not exist.

Is it possible that you never actually completed the compile and
install?  Did you run these three commands:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

The "make" command would compile the software, and the "make install"
command would install all the various programs and scripts that are
part of the software package.

If you didn't actually run these two commands, *don't*.  Instead I
suggest you install the "checkinstall" package (via synaptic or
apt-get).  Checkinstall will create a package (deb) that you can
install (or remove) using dpkg.  The advantage will be the ability to
track the package installation and allow easy removal (in case you no
longer need it or want it).  I can give you some tips on using
checkinstall, if you want.

If you're certain that you ran the "make" and "make install" commands,
then I suggest you execute this command:

sudo find /etc -name hplip

and post the result.  For some reason the hplip script is not in
/etc/init.d.  The find command will help you locate "hplip".

Regards,
Larry