What's your favourite FLOSS?

Phillip Sc. Boegh psb at ipl.dtu.dk
Mon Oct 31 16:56:43 UTC 2005

> On 10/31/05, Nate Bargmann <n0nb at networksplus.net> wrote:

>> >   e-mail client [ Mutt ]
Better tha evolution? and if so - why?

>> >   file manager [ Midnight Commander ]
>> >   terminal emulator [ Xterm, RXVT, Konsole ]
>> >   text editor [ FTE ]
Also useable for console?

>> For DVD playing I found VLC Player to work perfectly while mplayer
>> couldn't get the sound and video synced.  Plus VLC Player supports the
>> DVD menus.  I've never found Xine to be usable (maybe I'm just to old
>> to cope with "cool" skins).
Could not get VLC player to take over mplayer. But after the right codec I
got something async running.

>> Midnight Commander is simply the best system administration tool
>> available.  I've used it for nine years and I haven't found anything
>> better.
I like MC light esp as it like aptitude is useable with Xwindow running.
But I miss the copy-paste function which should be at MC light and  the
XNC. But could not get them to funchtion MClight would not get installed
and XNC gave  "IVE System not available"? so I stick to MC.

> Popularity Contest would be even better if it didn't list 'required'
> and 'standard' pacakges to judge true popularity. How does one call
> 'dpkg' or 'apt' popular when one doesn't really have a choice --- it's
> a dedian system after all.
You call always fall back to install, make install and configure all
packages by hand - like I did (wrong) with MC light. But my best
recommandation - DONT - you get a mess OR have to upgrade by hand later
on!

Phillip