Adobe Reader not WYSIWYG

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Mon Oct 31 15:43:29 UTC 2005

Scott schrieb am 31.10.2005 15:48:

> On 10/31/2005 05:07 AM, Christoph Bier wrote:
>
>>Scott schrieb am 31.10.2005 10:15:
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>>Both XPDF and Adobe reader stink.
>>
>>According to xpdf could you please tell why?
>>
>>>You should be using Evince (installed
>>
>>Evince uses poppler, a fork of xpdf. I'm curious where poppler is
>>better than xpdf.
>>
>>>by Default on Breezy) or KPDF on Kubuntu. Either is vastly superior to
>>>Adobe Reader or XPDF. [...]
>>
>>And again: could you please tell why?

> Both are faster than Adobe reader and they look better.

What do you mean by "they look better"? Font rendering or just the GUI?

> And Adobe reader
> burdens you down with plugins you don't need.

Can you tell me which one I don't need? Can I stop them from being
loaded?

> And you only had to ask one time. You'll note I'm not responding to the
> same question twice here.

The question was the same, but the context was different. So you did
not answer the question why xpdf stinks. And I'm still curious why
poppler is better than xpdf.

I've read these assertions more often in the last weeks. But nobody
could tell me why evince resp. poppler was better than xpdf. I'm
just curious because I'm very satisfied with xpdf and I could not
find any advantage of evince over xpdf (I really don't care if the
GUI looks better and could not determine any difference according
font rendering). I only miss facing view in xpdf---but AFAIK evince
lacks it too.

> Thanks and have a splendid day.

Thank you, the same to you!

Christoph