I messed up my GNOME splash screen

Andi Darmawan andi.darmawan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 02:45:50 UTC 2005

Hi Scott,

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:20:44 -0700
Scott <angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

> and I don't know how to undo it (especially since I don't know how I
> messed it up in the first place)
>
> I'd been switching my GNOME splash screens via the
> gnome-splashscreen-manager.
>
> Suddenly a few days ago I'd noticed a splash screen appeared out of
> nowhere. It was not one I'd installed.  It's got the Debian logo on
> it. I checked and indeed it's not one of those I have in my
> splash-screen-manager application.
>
> So I did a bit of hunting and came
> across /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives. In that file is a list of 4 splash
> screens that I know nothing about. Among those is the mystery splash
> screen I mentioned previously.
>
> I'd love to get rid of all of that.  Does anyone have any idea what
> package it's part of or how I could otherwise get rid of it and
> restore my own splash screens?

Maybe the splash screen file is not there anymore?
You could try this

Use configuration editor (Applications --> System Tools -->
Configuration Editor) and then find under
apps -> gnome-session -> options
you could see there's a key for splash_image, you could change the
splash screen from there.

Regards,

--
Andi "Belutz" Darmawan