ubuntu 5.10 sound problem (internet radio only)

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Sun Oct 30 08:21:12 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 11:44:22PM -0500, Default User wrote:
> I am puzzled by a sound problem. Sound is okay from a music cd in the cd
> drive, and the event sounds which install by default with Ubuntu play
> fine also. But internet radio (Shoutcast) through xmms sounds like:
>
> 1) being under water
> 2) gravelly
> 3) like talking while gargling

Is this reproducible through totem-gstreamer (presuming you have
gstreamer0.8-mad installed) or gst-launch-0.8 (see the man page for
syntax using spider)?

> FWIW, in the Gnome menu System/Preferences/Multimedia Systems Selector,
> sink is set at ESD and source is set at OSS. Trying all combinations in
> the Multimedia Systems Selector did not solve the problem, and some just
> plain locked up when clicking the test button.

The Default Audio Sink should be set to ALSA, not ESD. The Default
Audio Source should be set to either silence or OSS.
Daniel T. Chen            crimsun at ubuntu.com
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc