Switching from lilo to grub

GDB-B&W-X.3.9 dougburton at vevayindiana.net
Sun Oct 30 00:57:03 UTC 2005

I'm trying to convert from lilo to grub on my breezy install.  I tried
running grub-install using the same device as lilo uses on my system
(/dev/sda1), but it just brings me up to a grub console.  I can always
reinstall Ubuntu, but  I would still not know what device to tell grub
to boot.  I use a separate boot manager (Bootit NG)  on my system to
boot into the various OS'es, so grub needs to boot from the partition
it is installed on.  I originally tried to install grub as the
bootloader but never got it working and switched to lilo which boots
fine.  Anyone know why grub won't work?  FYI my HD is a SATA if that
makes any difference.

Just a message from Doug...