Computer Shows up as "unknown" in Router

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 17:19:24 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a D-link router, and have three ubuntu boxes at home. When I
got the router management page and look at the DHCP clients that are
connected to the router, I see either "unknown" or " " as the name for
the ubuntu boxes. Managing these becomes a pain, as i have to resort
to finding out the MAC address to do this.

The Winxp boxes have their designated names.

The hostname for the ubuntu boxes are et, and they are not set to
"unknown" or " "

Can someone help me name my ubuntu machines so that the router will
know them by name? Thank you.
Carthik.
--
Ph.D. Candidate