FluxBox install

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 01:46:26 UTC 2005

On 10/28/05, David Strauss <ubuntu at david.endeavorcomputing.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 17:53 -0700, AA wrote:
> > Hello, I have a slightly older, slightly slower pc
> > that is running ubuntu.  I am wondering if it is
> > possible to install/replace gnome with fluxbox as the
> > window manager?  Can I just do an apt-get install
> > fluxbox, or use synaptic or something?
> > Thanks in advance,
> > SMH
>
> It's not in any official repository. You'll have to compile it yourself
> or find an unofficial source. Ubuntu might not be the best choice for
> you if you have to change it so much to suit your needs.

apt-cache fluxbox returns:
bbmail - Mail notifier for Blackbox
fbdesk - desktop icons for fluxbox window manager
fbpager - a pager application for the Fluxbox window manager
fluxbox - Highly configurable and low resource X11 Window manager
fluxconf - FluxBox configuration utility

So there is fluxbox, it is in the universe repository. apt-get install
fluxbox will install it and add an item to your gdm sessions.

Carthik.
> --
> David Strauss <ubuntu at david.endeavorcomputing.com>

Ph.D. Candidate