Translating an app from KDE to GNOME

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Fri Oct 28 22:37:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 17:16 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> What is a wrapper?

I'm not a programming expert, but as I know it a wrapper is a library
(or an application) the emulate another library (or application) such
that it allows you to use the emulated code without touching the
original code you want to emulate or the code of the library (or
application) that you want to 'lie' to.

In the context of this thread, a wrapper would be to write a C++ code
that emulate Qt (and other KDE code) which is needed by the application
Akregator which would actually call the GTK+ (and GNOME) functions.  You
could think of it as a bridge between two different code to let them
talk freely without changing their code.

The application doesn't have any clue that it talks to wrapper.  From
the application's point of view it talks to Qt and KDE libraries while
in fact it talks to this "wrapper" library that translate everything to
GNOME/GTK+ calls.

Here's a better and simpler explanation:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrapper

If there's an error in my text above, please step forward and correct
me.  As I said, I'm not sure 100% this is the right explanation.
Ziyad.