web photo gallery builders in Gnome? (NEW PROBLMES)

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Fri Oct 28 19:17:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 12:26 -0500, Dan Martin wrote:
> > I hate to sound like more of an ID1OT than I have to, but im
> > a bit lost here
> >
> > I downloaded jalbum
> > Copied it to /opt
> > Ran ./JAlbuminstall.bin
> > Got a message that it required a java virtual machine Looked
> > up (under restricted formats) how to install the JDK
> > Downloaded that Installed it according to the instructions
> > Amazingly it appeared to install properly (if at first you do
> > succeed try not to look surprised) (it was my first build in
> > UBUNTU) Tried installing jalbum again Getting an error that
> > says there is no java virtual machine in my path
> >
> > NOW WHAT???
> >
> > Sorry for all the questions folks, this learning curve is
> > just a lil steep
>
> Not at all, I've been through the same trouble.  It's not easy stuff.  By
> default, Ubuntu has Gnu Classpath set up for "java stuff".  When you install
> another Java package (Sun's Java, for as you've done), you need the Sun
> "java" binary to be prior to Gnu Classpath's "java" binary in the classpath,
> or Gnu Classpath gets called instead of Sun's "java" binary.
>
> I'm willing to bet if you type "java -version" you'll see the GCJ output.
>
> Two possibilities:
> 1) You installed using the extra repositories.
> 2) You installed by downloading the JDK yourself (perhaps using
> java-package).
>
> If you did 1), your environment has probably been set, and you simply need
> to log out and back in.  If you did 2), you need to set your environment
> manually.  You will need to do something like this:
>
> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/
> export PATH=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/bin:$PATH
>
> After that, type "java -version", and you should no longer see the Gnu
> classpath stuff, but rather the standard Sun output:
> java version "1.5.0_05"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_05-b05, mixed mode, sharing)
>
> -Dan

GRRRRRRR -- Ok -- now when i try to install JAlbum, i get the following
errors:

root at ubuntu-laptop:/opt# export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/
root at ubuntu-laptop:/opt# export PATH=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/bin:$PATH
root at ubuntu-laptop:/opt# ./JAlbuminstall.bin
Preparing to install...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

Invocation of this Java Application has caused an
InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

Stack Trace:
java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation
which requires it.
        at
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:159)
        at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:317)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:419)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:384)
        at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:150)
        at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.f(DashoA8113)
        at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.g(DashoA8113)
        at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a(DashoA8113)
        at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA8113)
        at
        at
        at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA8113)
        at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA8113)
This Application has Unexpectedly Quit: Invocation of this Java
Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application
will now exit. (LAX)

What have i done wrong now