[OT-ish] nfs v. samba

Oscar monotux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 14:41:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:25:19 -0400
Todd Slater <dontodd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to come up with a system to share files in my home
> network consisting of a desktop computer and a laptop, using a
> wireless router. Both are Breezy, but I sometimes boot my laptop to
> WindowsXP, but don't plan on needing to access files on my Breezy box
> from XP.

There is a official (written by Microsoft) nfs-client for Windows XP, but I think it costs some money (and it's targeted at it-professionals), and I haven't tried it myself.

> I recently set up NFS to share files linux to linux. After mounting
> the shared directory I tried transferring some files; the transfer was
> incredibly slow. A folder of jpegs about 5.5 MB took well over 4
> minutes. I say this is incredibly slow because when I ran Mandrake
> (RIP) with samba, I could transfer a 700 MB file in like 6 minutes or
> something (Windows and linux).

Strange.
>From my experiences nfs is a lot faster than samba - On a wired network (I run wireless at home) I get _very_ close to 100 MBit with nfs, while samba peaks at 30 MBit...

> I've also tried scp/sftp, which is slower and seems kind of silly for
> what I'm after anyway.

scp/sftp is encrypted - so your if your computers are old (or slow) it might explain slow transfer rates.

> I googled a little and found a few threads about NFS being slower that
> samba, but mine seems *really* slow. I'd consider running samba
> instead of NFS, but for Breezy-Breezy that seems kind of silly, too. I
> found reference to OpenAFS, but I'm afraid it might be a bit over my
> head.

95% of all computer related problems are located somewhere between the chair and the monitor... :)

Oscar