How can I help make Ubuntu better???

Ubuntu China ubuntu-user at ubuntu.org.cn
Fri Oct 28 01:54:37 UTC 2005

On 27/10/05, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes at mcaschool.net> wrote:
> As I have been reading the About to give up again thread, I vented in a
> now the question falls on me.  What can I do to help?  So I throw it out
> to you folks
>
> I am not a programmer (other than some web stuff), Im an IT manager who
> loves linux for its stability and freeness (as in cost).

A good start for ideas is:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/participate

IT Manager = know how to help users with problems.  Thus you can help
by answering the questions of users here on the list, on IRC, on the
forums.

Also, there was an idea for a new doc 6 months  ago (early in the
Breezy) to write some sort  of system admin document for the Ubuntu
Documentation team.  It got dropped  back then (lack of time, lack of
manpower),  but the doc team can always yse more writers for this or
other docs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam

Bug triage, bug testing, bug filling, artwork, marketing  are all sort
of areas that can use more help.   Just look around the wiki
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TheUbuntuCommunity or the various mailing
that interest you.

>  I am playing
> around with Ubuntu on my laptop, and I really like it, but there are
> some frustrations as well, and I would really like to know how I can
> help make this better.

Do you know about the Laptop Testing Team?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam

Fill in a report for your specific laptop, and start testing and fill
out bug reports of things that don't work properly.  With luck and
work, your laptop should work a lot better by the time of the next
release in 6 months.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs

> Timothy A. Holmes
> IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
>
> Medina Christian Academy

I see that you seem to be in an academic institution.  Do you know
about Edubuntu?
http://www.edubuntu.org/

It's Ubuntu under the hood, but aimed at schools.

Daniel

--
Daniel Robitaille