backing up/partitioning (was: Re: after burning to a cd)

renaaj at optonline.net renaaj at optonline.net
Thu Oct 27 23:12:15 UTC 2005

> > Or will it over-write my XP?
> > sorry for my lack of experiences in installing operating systems.
> > hehe.  but will it NOT kill my c drive????
>
> what's the big deal ? MicroSoft products have been overwriting MBR's
> for > 10 years :-)
>
> seriously though.. before doing anything, study this :
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup#Backup_procedures

(open source) GHOSTING SOFTWARE QUESTION:
Thanks.  I took backing up into mind.  Actually I don't care too much because I just bought my laptop two weeks ago so if anything i'll just plop in the recovery disk.  But you do bring something to mind tho, can you recommend any good open source ghosting software?  I only found info about openGhost but that isn't released yet.  Other than that there is Norton's product which is about 60 bucks.

INSTALLING TO A DIFFERENT PARTITION QUESTION:
But is there a way to specify to install to a different partition?  Does it have the option in the installer or is there another link on the ubuntu website?  I think ubuntu.com should have more help regarding this.  I can't find anything related to this.

Thanks