Earthlink DSL failing to see Ubuntu

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 27 23:12:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:51:36 -0500
"Dan Martin" <volume at dmartin.org> wrote:

> I suspect your DNS isn't being set properly for eth0.  When you
> connect your dialup, you now resolve DNS names that way.  Hence, you
> can get to local ISP stuff such as email.
>
> Try "sudo dhclient eth0".  If that "fixes" you, you need to set your
> eth0 interface to use DHCP.  That can be done from the Networking
> application in Gnome.  Tell us if it doesn't.

Here's that result:

cybe at WizardsTower:~$ sudo dhclient eth0
sudo: unable to lookup WizardsTower via gethostbyname()
Password:************
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.2
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

ppp0: unknown hardware address type 512
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
ppp0: unknown hardware address type 512
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/eth0/00:a0:cc:22:34:62
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:a0:cc:22:34:62
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPNAK from 172.16.0.254
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPOFFER from 172.16.0.254
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 172.16.0.254
bound to 172.16.1.10 -- renewal in 417258 seconds.

I don't understand that, either, but I hope it doesn't depend on my
hostname being what setting up DSL has turned it into (dhcppc0) since I
have somehow gotten it back to WizardsTower.
Running the command doesn't seem to have done anything; I still need the
dial-up connection open to connect DSL-ly.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?
A: Apart from the fact that viruses are supported by their authors,