rcorder for Linux

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Thu Oct 27 18:44:05 UTC 2005

I've recently been playing with FreeBSD for work, and I
notice that they use a nice system to determine daemon load
order. Each daemon specifies what it needs (say, 'REQUIRE:
networking' or 'PROVIDE: dns') in a specific syntax, and
then the rcorder program goes through and figures out the
proper load order: a daemon that REQUIREs networking, for
instance, will load after one that PROVIDEs networking.

This seems to me a much smarter way to work than the
(SysV-derived?) system that Debian uses, whereby daemons are
loaded in alphanumeric order by their filenames.

I'm told that Debian -- or maybe Linux generally? -- will
probably undergo some big changes in daemon loading within
the next couple years. Can anyone provide any more detail on
this?

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org