About to give up(again) with Linux!

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:09:40 UTC 2005

On 10/27/05, Michael Shergold <michaelshergold at btconnect.com> wrote:

> The Hoary distrib disk worked fairly well but it was a struggle to get
> some
> of the applications I use regularly to work but eventually I did and my
> DVDs and CDs played, Skype worked and I even managed to get the BBC
> website
> radioplayer (RealPlayer) to work and I could print to my Windows networked
> Canon printer..

Going backwards at every update might present challenges but is not good
> for Linux..

My 0.02USD:

Realize that some of what you describe, such as DVD and RealPlayer
technology (mp3s?), will never be able to be supported in a
free-as-in-liberty distribution. Their licenses don't jive with it.

OTOH, I do see it as strange you would have to futz with sound in order to
play a CD in any distribution. Can anybody shed some light on that?

--
http://kimbriggs.com