About to give up(again) with Linux!

Will H. Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Thu Oct 27 17:04:01 UTC 2005

Non-free proprietary formats cause real problems for free operating
systems.  Most commercial DVDs are encrypted and you need to essentially
break the law (DMCA) in the US to view them.  Other formats are also
closed or protected by patents, such as the Real Media formats.

Distributions such as Ubuntu choose to remain open and free, so they
cannot distribute certain applications that require license fees or
other restrictions.  The best hope for free (as in freedom) operating
systems is directing your frustrations at the content provider's choice
of formats.

This is a tradeoff you make with free operating systems, but there are
also many benefits.  Each individual needs to make their own value
judgment when weighing the benefits and limitations.  Any choice you
make will come with restrictions.  Choose the set of options that best
fits your needs.  I just hope it will be an informed choice.