Wanted: simple mailer for laptop use

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:56:03 UTC 2005

On 10/27/05, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> checkout emailrelay.  I was using it a year or two ago and I think
> development had stalled but it was reliable.  I think it does local
> delivery as you've asked for.
I assume you are reffering to http://emailrelay.sourceforge.net.
Unfortunatly, it's faq says that it does not include local delivery
(they call this 'delivery agent').

> Technically, there is no reason to have a heavyweight MTA/IMAP or pop
> three combination to do what you are doing for one or two people.
I'm not doing anything atm ;) - I run my own mailserver with exim4 and
courier-imap on my private server. But this is way to heavywight for a
singleuser laptop. Therefore I'm looking for a lightweight
alternative.

> Unfortunately, I don't believe anyone has created such a beast.
> Personally, If I wasn't running my own domain plus mailing list etc.
> etc. I would find a service provider to handle my e-mail into one or
> more pop boxes.  Then I would use fetchmail or its logical equivalent to
> drag down the messages and distribute them to local mailboxes.  If the
> laptop is not connected to the net, I would use your e-mail clients
> queuing mechanism to handle messages that should be sent when the
> machine comes up again.

I need this for system services sending mail through the
/usr/bin/sendmail interface.

--
regards,
    Reinhard