problems installing Ubuntu

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 27 02:57:03 UTC 2005

A few days ago, my father tried to install Ubuntu Horey Hedghog on my
Compaq.
However we ran into a few problems.
Even though I didn't have a Modem connected because the Broadband Modem I am
wanting to use is on my desktop, I seemed to be asked stuff about Internet
connections during the Installation ie I had to provide certain information
which I couldn't skip even though I had told dad to have it skip the DHCP
setup and asked to do it manually, it seemed to want things like a name
which has to be related to my ISP so despite not having my MODEM connected I
still had to put in something like btinternet.
The second problem arose after dad took the CD out before rebooting the
system halfway through uncompressing the packages on the laptop although
this was an oversight on my part because I thought there was enough charge
in my battery. Basically the problem I now have is that despite setting up
my username for the computer and a password which dad thinks would change
every Month, it keeps asking for this and going no Further like it expects
to connect to the Internet like it is repeatedly asking for login details.
If I have an installation problem, say for example packages have not
configured properly because of my laptop switching off halfway through,
could dad do a re-install simply by inserting the CD and having it go
through the whole installation again in order to remedy any problems which
might have occured?
Also during the installation, what do I need to do if I don't have a MODEM
to hand because it very much seems like it expects an Internet connection?
Can stuff like MODEMs be connected later because it seems to me that it
expects to have a MODEM after you reboot?
Hope someone can give me some advice as I am a newby to Linux.