vmware & breezy

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:16:09 UTC 2005

Lars Noldan wrote:

> I would like to inquire if anyone on this list has sucessfully
> installed vmware 5.0 on breezy badger.
>
> Prior to reinstalling hoary on my test machine I was attempting to get
> vmware loaded on breezy.  The problem I was running into is the breezy
> gcc version is 4.something, and the kernel was compiled with
> 3.4something (I understand exact error messages are more helpful and
> will gladly go back and recreate them if it will help)  however any
> suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thank you all in advance.

Well, I just install the free VMware player on breezy yesterday, so I
think that counts...

First, you need to install gcc-3.4 (apt-get install gcc-3.4).

Open a terminal window to run the installer from. Set the CC environment
variable to gcc-3.4

       $ export CC=gcc-3.4

Run the installer. At the point where the kernel modules are built, it
should get the choice of C compiler from the CC variable.

<<<john>>>