making remote desktop active before log in

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 26 13:58:36 UTC 2005

Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> the remote desktop feature is wonderful.  But there's one problem which
> is that it is not available until someone has logged into the desktop.
> Is there any way to use VNC to login to the ubuntu authentication screen
> remotely and then enter a username and password to bring up a desktop?

Yes.  It's called XDMCP.  However, I have to warn you that this broke for me
about two weeks ago, and I don't know what the problem is.  If you can
verify the same problem (or even better, not have a problem) it'll help me
out.

See http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO.html for the details of
the XDMCP part.

See http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-03/guru_01.html for the VNC part, if you
can get in there.  I used this article from the print copy of the mag to
set up my system, so I know everything you need is there, but I'm having
trouble registering for the site, now.
--
derek