java

Phillip Sc. Boegh psb at ipl.dtu.dk
Wed Oct 26 06:42:26 UTC 2005

> if you'd like to install java using a repository (so it gets
> automatically updated), follow these instructions :
I am curious if java can be installed so easyli - so I tried your procedure:

(If the newbe did not get what happen with apt-get just write
"   man apt-get   ".

http://ubuntu.tower-net.de/ubuntu/ breezy java" (replace breezy with
> hoary if that's what you're using)
>
> 4. save & close
>
> 5. type "sudo apt-get update"
Here it did not go well. Error message: Could not connect to
ubuntu.tower-net.de:80 (81.169.176.107). - connect (111 Connection
rejected)

> 6. type "sudo apt-get install sun-j2re1.5" (or, for developers,
> "sudo apt-get install sun-j2sdk1.5")
>
> 7. to link to firefox, type " sudo ln -s
> /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins"

When I first went in to see what is included in this repository - I also
got the message:
The connection was canceled when attempting to reach
http://ubuntu.tower-net.de

Is it an old link or just unreachable for the moment - I have never seen
it before?

Phillip
This http://ubuntu.tower-net.de