Minicom & Cisco Routers

Mr. Knisely mrknisely at mrknisely.is-a-geek.org
Wed Oct 26 03:35:17 UTC 2005

Vram wrote:

>Hi
>
>I finally downloaded minicom and set it up..
>

>And nothing happen..
>
>Am I suppose to do something after I configure the setting ????
>speed/parity/flow control
>

>I have admit this but, I learned to do configure routers with hyperterm.
>
>And as soon as they are configured..... they talk...
>
>You are on the router/switch
>
>So ...
>
>am I missing something??
>

>Thanks
>
>Vram

Much like hyperterminal you have to configure the COM port specs.

To do this, fire up minicom.
Hold down Ctrl+A and then hit Z.
P takes you to the "comm Parameters"  options E and Q set you up for the
Cisco default settings
O takes you into the general configuraiton.  There I change the "Modem
and dialing" to clear the Init string.  I also have had to edit the
Seral Port settings to use /dev/ttyS0 as my Serial device.

Once you are done making your changes, choose "Save as dfl" to save the
changes to the default.  You may need to Initialize the modem (Ctrl+A Z
M) to get your router to respond the first time.

After that you should be GOLDEN!

I absolutely love minicom and will NEVER use hyper terminal again.  You
have all the functionality and none of the stupid windowing that HT
does.  You can use the X-Modem feature in minicom to upload IOS in an
emergency... though I pray you don't find yourelf in a situation where
you need it.

You probably won't feel at home in Minicom at first, but stick with it.
The rewards are well worth it.

I hope this helps!

MrKnisely