Ubuntu and WinXP

john levin john at technolalia.org
Tue Oct 25 16:15:50 UTC 2005

squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> yesterday I  formatted a missbehaving win XP drive for a neighbour,
> and finally managed to get him to allow me to install Hoary. Both Win XP
> and Hoary were working
> fine when I left.
> He does not have Internet connection so I was intending to use
> Unofficial 5.04 Add-ons cd for the extras he needed. gave him a CD I
> made up with help on it.
> This afternoon I called in to see how he was going and was told he had
> un-installed Hoary,
> as it caused WinXP to keep on crashing, which was cured by the un-install.
> As I had to format the drive for him in the first place (he had 2 copies
> of XP on it)I don't see how he could have removed it
> and reclaimed the partition I arranged for Ubuntu,( partitioned with
> Partition Magic) but thats a separate story, my question is
> Is it possible for Ubuntu to interfere with WinXP or visa versa when
> it's on a separate partition?
> I can't see how it could, partitions were 2 X 20 gig  Any ideas would be
> greatfully received.
> Could he have a hardware problem?
> Thanks in advance.
> Take Care
> Winton

I'm running a Win XP SP2 / Ubuntu Breezy dual boot setup, and not had
any problems in their interaction. It's going to be difficult to know
exactly what happened without some error messages or a more precise
description, though I can't see how just having Ubuntu on another
partition could possibly crash XP.

If the drive was already misbehaving, that hints at something else going
wrong.

John