Samba

Jean-Eric Cuendet jec at rptec.ch
Tue Oct 25 15:03:26 UTC 2005

 > Jean-Eric wrote:
 >>> The idea is not to synchro samba <=> /etc/passwd (that's not
 >>> possible),
 >
 > Surely it's possible.

Have you tried it? How would you do that? /etc/passwd and smbpasswd are
not encrypted the same way...
That for sure would be *possible* but not easy...

 >>> but to use Samba as the authentication for your box.
 >>> This is done through winbind (or PAM/nsswitch)
 >>> Have a look for winbind on Google.
 >
 >You're going the wrong way.  If you don't have a Windows domain, and
 > want your linux box to be the domain controller, it should be possible
 > to get the samba authentications through PAM.

Do you mean that samba use PAM to authenticate its users?
Not possible! Because samba needs a clear text password to encrypt it
its way (M$ encryption ciphers) and to compare to the asking host (the
network box). Samba needs its own smbpasswd file encrypted its own M$
way. That's why it's not *easy* to have /etc/passwd and smbpasswd
synchronized.

IMO, the easiest way is to turn Samba into a domain controller and to
ask Linux to authenticate through winbind. winbind is really easy to setup.
But there is plenty of other way to do it.
I hope it's clear what I intended to say.
-jec

--
Jean-Eric Cuendet
Riskpro Technologies SA